The Tiny Cat Gallery is a micro gallery housed in a cardboard recreation of a Georgian gallery. It is staffed and visited by small cats.
The Tiny Cat Gallery is at UWE Bower Ashton Library as part of an Artists Residency by Lisa Cole. There is an open invitation for students to add work to the gallery and/or to make their own micro galleries using this template.
Exhibiting in the tiny gallery
- The Tiny Cat Gallery is open to all.
- Work can be any size and medium as long as it fits in the box or on a plinth and it doesn’t leave a mess.
- Work does not have to be miniature, play with scale!
- Each month has a theme for you to respond to.
- At the end of the month the gallery will be cleared.
- Place your work on a plinth or carefully white tac it to a wall.
- Please don’t use Sellotape.
- Write the title of your work, your name and your Instagram account on a label and place it next to the work.
- If you would like your work to be given away at the end of the month please state that on the reverse of the label.
- Feel free to move the cats around so they can enjoy the exhibition
- Please don’t steal the cats
- Please be respectful of other people’s work
Cats are available from the librarians. The Tiny Cat Gallery is staffed by, and visited by these small cats. Each cat has a personality, decided by you. Your cat could represent you or someone else, real or imagined.
Think about your cat’s role in the gallery. Will they be a visitor? Are they a teacher on a school trip, or a student there to do some research? Will they be a member of staff? Are they leading a tour or providing security.
When you have decorated your cat please place it in the gallery. Remember cats can easily get to high places, they are not restricted to the floor. You may need white tac.
Each month has a theme and at the end of the month Lisa will clear the gallery for the next theme. You can put different work in for each theme but not the same work.
Work left behind will be with the librarians for you to collect. At the end of June 2023 it will be disposed of if you have not collected it.
If you want your work to go to a new home please state that on your label and it will go in the Free Art Box next to the gallery.
If you would like your gallery to be featured on social media and/or future publications by Lisa Cole please post a picture of it on Instagram using
This gives the Lisa permission to share relevant material from your Instagram account. All your work will be credited to you and you will be contacted to double check if your work is likely to be in a print publication. If you don’t want your gallery to be featured leave out the tags and mentions.
On any social media platform other hashtags that are useful include
#uwe #uwebristol #uwebristollibrary #bowerashtonlibrary #uwebristollife #myuwebristol #library #unilibrary #universitylibrary #libraries #librariesofinstagram
Terms and Conditions
- The Tiny Cat Gallery and UWE Library accept no responsibility for work left in the Tiny Cat Gallery
- The Tiny Cat Gallery and UWE Libraries do not endorse any of the work displayed in any galleries made with this printable.
- The Tiny Cat Gallery and UWE Libraries reserve the right to remove work from the gallery with no notice or reason.
At periods through the residency the artist may publish catalogues or pamphlets to document the process. In placing your work in the gallery you give permission for photographs of your work, your name and Instagram account name to be shared in this way.
All work will be credited and relevant images may be taken from your Instagram accounts. If anything is going to print all efforts will be made to contact you to check this is ok.
This residency is an open invitation for a self managed exhibition that will be curated and documented by the artist, Lisa Cole. Each month will have a different theme for students to respond to. At the end of each month Lisa will set up the gallery for the next theme.
Lisa will produce documentation in printed catalogue form either throughout the residency or at the end. The printed documentation will include the work by the students and be credited to each individual.
There is capacity for workshops throughout the residency depending on interest.
- Cardboard micro gallery
- Fold your own microgallery PDF
- Instructions for students
- Themes for each month (possibly informed by curriculum)
- Designs for posters
- Designs for tiny cats