A zero waste challenge where participants are given just one metre of fabric. From this they are taught to identify a solution to a problem they have and how to make it. Solutions can range from bespoke bags, storage boxes or clothing.
By the end of the session learners will be able to:
- Understand the properties of fabric used straight grain and on the bias
- Demonstrate a variety of suppression techniques including tucks, darts, gathers and pleats.
- Model a garment on the stand using pins
- Test prototypes in paper or scrap fabric
- Use Design Thinking as a problem solving strategy to reduce waste
- Understand the waste created by sewing
Requirements – scrap fabric, sewing machines, thread, scissors, zips